Sunday, January 24, 2010

The art of titles

I'm a movie buff, no arguments there. One of the most intriguing things in movies for me are the title sequences. Some darn good films have plain boring titles at the beginning or the end, to save reel length or perhaps because the production went over budget, but some of them carry the mood of the film. I'm talking about the latter.

A movie is a product, and the more polished it is, you know that lot of thought and effort has gone into it. And the custom designed titles are a part of this attention to detail. Recently, surprisingly, I have seen good movies, and quite a few with good title sequences.

Sherlock Holmes, has a brilliant one where the video shots freeze and morph into water-colored pencil-textured drawings. Up in the Air, has one of better aerial picturizations I've seen. Catch me if you can, another beautifully animated piece, while Fight Club explores the neuron structures. Spiderman movies have webby webby titles, quite nicely done. Zombieland wins the best slo-mo, while Hellboy 2 has the coolest gears-in-gears sequence I've seen till date, simply amazing.

On the bollywood side, I like Rang De Basanti, which has a punchy background score and Don(the remake) which has monochrome greens. Bollywood tends to use scenes and songs often in the titles, I guess to save reel time and to add that one extra song.

The ones which take the cake hands down are the Bond movies though. Style, personified.

2 comments:

Jack said...

I am also a movie buff, always look for blogs related to movies. I must say you have good choice of movie, Rang De Basanti is one of my favorite movie of all time. Thank you for sharing it with us

1 click dissertation review said...

I totally agree with you. I find it hard to believ that after a long working on producing the movie they cant work on good titles? why?