Thursday, April 17, 2008

Once

I'm not really fond of musicals. Tried watching Sweeney Todd, but couldn't sustain Johnny Depp singing about his barber blade and gave up. But this one, for Once is different. Read about it on Tushar's blog and looked appealing.


The movie has a interesting background. The lead actors are artists, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. "Falling slowly", made by them, which plays through the movie many times, won the academy this year. The movie is directed by John Carney, member of The Frames band, which Glen Hansard is part of.

Glen and Marketa are both amazing as actors, particularly Glen. Both of them are musicians, and how they bond through their love for music, is kind of the story of the film. In brief,

Genre: Musical, Hopelessly romantic.
Music: *****
Acts: Pretty good, I got to know that the lead actors are singers after watching the movie.
Abstractness Quotient^: **
Overall: Recommended

Every song in the soundtrack is worthy of the musical. I've been playing the songs, all day, they just grow on you. Lyrics, mostly by Glen himself are beautiful..here's from "Say it to me now"

I'm scratching at the surface now
And I'm trying hard to work it out
So much has gone misunderstood
This mystery only leads to doubt
And I didn't understand
When you reached out to take my hand
And if you have something to say
You'd better say it now, now

Imdb

^ I should be stating this, 'cause the last movie I saw, I liked it, but many didn't due to high AQ!

1 comment:

Natasha said...

Was looking for a good movie recommendation, thanks! Will comment-part 2 after i'm done with the movie :)