Sunday, June 29, 2008

Viva La Vida

When you try your best, but you don't succeed
When you get what you want, but not what you need
When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse
.......
Lights will guide you home,
And ignite your bones,
And I will try to fix you.
- Fix you

those were the haunting lyrics that got me started with Coldplay. And I have been plugged-in since then. The one great thing that is common to all of Coldplay's songs (discography..a term I learnt recently from Ashwin), is the melody. Their songs are hummable and have a distinctive rhythmic verse...unlike many others in their genre. I was looking forward to their latest album that was getting released, Viva la vida ( which means Long Live Life, wikipedia apparently reported it as Live the Life few days ago). Most tracks from the album have different exotic sounds...right from guitars, violins to even a tabla (or something that sounds like it), and their unmissable meaningful lyrics, other than being melodious.

The title song "Viva la Vida" sets the pace and has an upbeat feeling. "Violet Hill", has a more of a rebellious tune. "Lost!" seems like a sequel to "Fix you" the song which is quoted above...brilliant. While its other version "Lost?" has a piano base. One more that has a literally haunting tune is "Cemeteries of London" which has a captivating music arrangement too. There are more interesting songs in this album...I'll skip talking about them.

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name..
- Viva la vida

These lyrics seem nothing to do with religion, talk about multiple interpretations! Make your own.

I just got lost
Every river that I tried to cross
Every door I ever tried was locked
Ohhh and I'm...
Just waiting 'til the shine wears off
- Lost!

****1/2

More on this album from Bhavin.

No comments: